Protect Posidonia meadows to keep our sea pristine and full of life.
WHY SUPPORT POSIDONIA PROTECTION
Posidonia seagrass forms underwater meadows critical to our marine ecosystem. They provide the main carbon sink in the Mediterranean, produce oxygen, purify the water, prevent coastal erosion and are important breeding grounds for fisheries. Ibiza and Formentera have Posidonia meadows more than 1000 years old and recognised by UNESCO as World Heritage. Uncontrolled boat anchoring, pollution and coastal construction have destroyed thousands of square meters of Posidonia, and more losses could have a serious impact on our ecosystem.
BY WORKING WITH MARINE EXPERTS WE ARE:
• Mapping Posidonia around Ibiza (building on work completed in Formentera) to provide a clear picture of the size and state of meadows
• Supporting the Posidonia MAPS app to guide boat anchoring
• Providing information to inform decision making on activities such as the construction of underwater pipelines
• Calling for improved treatment of waste water discharged to sea
• Monitoring the impact of boats, pollution and climate change over time
• Supporting a children’s education programme.
Related projects: Mapping Posidonia Meadows; “Save Our Mediterranean” National Geographic movie