Phasing out single-use plastics in Ibiza and Formentera by 2023.
WHY SUPPORT PLASTIC FREE
Ibiza generates double the amount of waste per person than the rest of Europe. Much of this is plastic. As more plastic ends up in the sea and on our beaches, it’s harming our marine environment and endangered species. Research work has found major concentrations of plastics in Ibiza’s waters. Samples obtained in Sant Antoni Bay reached 4,576,111 plastic particles per km2 (compared to average of 147,500 per km2) – the maximum value collected in the Mediterranean.
BY LEADING A MOVEMENT OF 18+ ORGANISATIONS WE ARE:
• Collectively providing information and solutions on how to replace, reduce, reuse and recycle plastic
• Working with local administrations to support the introduction of a law in 2020 to start ban on single-use plastics
• Advising local businesses on legal, technical and market aspects of the ban
• Developing educational tools and resources for schools
• Collaborating with international plastic-free movements to share resources, experiences and expertise.
Visit the Plastic Free Ibiza and Plastic Free Formentera website.