To preserve the environment and traditional, farming landscapes of Ibiza and Formentera, the consumption of locally grown and sustainably produced products needs to be supported and promoted. To gain a better understanding of market conditions, we funded (€5000) and conducted a feasibility study to provide insights on ways local farmers and producers can be supported.
More than 20 stakeholders were interviewed, including representatives from the Council of Ibiza and EU Leader programme, presidents of the agricultural cooperatives, local producers, restaurant owners and chefs.
The study’s key findings include:
- Strong demand and support for local products
- Access to quality water and land are limiting production and increasing costs
- Worrying decrease in cereal production and livestock
- Support for local product labelling but agreement it needs to be regulated and have longevity
- More communication and coordination needed between farmers and cooperatives and retailers, restaurants and chefs
- Ordering and distribution logistics are key issues for both suppliers and retailers.
The findings will be used to guide potential lines of action for us to support in 2018.