One minute for your island
“ONE MINUTE FOR YOUR ISLAND”
AN AWARD IN MEMORY OF IRIS GOLDSMITH
IBIZA & FORMENTERA 2021
**UPDATE: THE CLOSING DATE OF THE COMPETITION HAS NOW BEEN EXTENDED TO 24 APRIL 2021**
One minute for your island is a new award created as a tribute to Iris Goldsmith, the daughter of Ben Goldsmith, one of the founders of IbizaPreservation. Goldsmith, a British investor and philanthropist with a passion for ecology, set up the foundation along with two other friends in 2008 to help preserve the Ibiza they loved.
His daughter Iris died in a tragic accident on her family farm at the age of 15 on 8 July 2019. Iris had a deep connection with the natural world and a particular reverence for the sea. Iris well understood that finding harmony with nature is the primary purpose of humanity and she took every opportunity to do her bit.
In memory of her, One minute for your island seeks to empower young people her age in their own efforts to restore and protect their surroundings through a one-minute video competition, focused around the theme of the environment and sustainability.
The competition is aimed at young people aged 15 to 18 living in Ibiza and Formentera. The prize, which is worth €500, consists of a one-week stay at Vellmarí Association’s Formentera Dive Camp in in Summer 2021 plus money for expenses. The placement aims to encourage young people to become environmental guardians of the place where they live.
One minute for your island is promoted by The Conservation Collective, an international network of 11 environmental foundations, of which Ben Goldsmith is the president. Several of these foundations are participating in the initiative under the umbrella The Iris Project.
The awards offer placements with environmental NGOs working on education and awareness-raising in areas such as climate change, marine conservation, biodiversity protection and sustainable development.
Outstanding participants will be nominated for submission to the global Iris Prize which launches later this year. This will award grants to allow the best applicants with practical solutions to pilot their ideas.
- Young people from 15 to 18 years of age who live in Ibiza or Formentera may participate in the competition. Only individual entries are permitted; group submissions will not be considered.
- The contest consists of developing a video under the slogan “One minute for your island”, which identifies a local environmental challenge and presents a solution to help solve it.
- The theme must be something that directly affects the islands of Ibiza and/or Formentera – be it the marine environment, biodiversity, plastic pollution, protection of Posidonia, climate change and CO2 emissions, the health of the countryside, regenerative agriculture or anything else related to the environment and sustainability of the islands.
- Only videos of one minute or less will be considered, in any style – a documentary with narration, text and/or interviews, a song, a play, an animation, a slideshow with slides and/or photos etc.
- Videos will be accepted by email via email@example.com and should include the entrant’s name, surname and age as well as a contact telephone number and email address of a responsible adult.
- The window for the submission of videos is 1 February until 24 April 2021.
- The prize is worth €500 and consists of a scholarship to participate in a week-long Dive Camp run by Vellmarí Association in Formentera in Summer 2021, plus €250 for expenses.
- The winning project will be chosen by a jury made up of members of the IbizaPreservation board and relevant people from Ibiza and Formentera.
- The winner will be announced at the beginning of June. The winning project will be selected taking into account the following criteria:
- Innovative and pragmatic ideas that reflect an understanding of the issues at stake.
- Original and creative thinking that shows a clear passion for the environment.
- Solutions to local environmental problems reflected in the video.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- By submitting a video, participants by default give permission for IbizaPreservation and The Conservation Collective to publish it on their websites and social media.
Think about your surroundings, be creative, be positive! This is an opportunity to showcase and test out your ideas, as well as to learn from experts in the field.