Support Solar Energy
Considering Installing Solar Energy?
Want to find out more about the situation in Ibiza? We recommend you read the study we commissioned
100% renewable energy in Ibiza and Formentera is achievable. We enjoy around 3000 hours or 300 days of quality sunshine every year. But less than 1% of our energy comes from renewable sources. The remaining 99% comes from burning imported oil and gas. This is unsustainable, inefficient and environmentally damaging. By harnessing solar, and with the right mix of applications and technologies, we can achieve a clean, sustainable and independent energy future.
Solar energy also removes the need for power pylons and cables that impact our landscape. And it strengthens our position to stop oil and gas exploration in the Mediterranean Sea.
What you can do
Change to a renewable energy supplier
Join a green energy supplier like SOM Energia that generates renewable energy to offset the electricity you consume. This is an ideal option if you’re renting or your roof isn’t suitable for solar. No technical change is needed – simply swap your supplier online in 10 minutes.
Install solar panels and stay connected to the grid
Use the sun on your roof to power your home with photovoltaic (PV) panels. It will reduce your electricity bills because you only use energy from the grid when you need it, for example at night.
Note: In 2015, Spain’s central government introduced taxes on solar energy that includes energy produced for personal consumption (for installations larger than 10 kW). The famous “sun tax” (back-up toll) does not, at present, apply to self-consumption facilities in Ibiza.
Go off-grid and become energy independent
Install enough renewable energy and storage capacity to meet your needs and disconnect from your electricity supplier. Going off-grid can pay for itself in less than 10 years and protects you from supply issues and price rises. It is also a great option for remote and rural houses as there’s no grid connection fee.
Apply for government grants
Grants and subsidies are available from the Balearic Islands Government for home and business solar installations. Cambio Energetico has useful information on these and application due dates.
Connect with local renewable energy experts
Amics de la Terra Eivissa work to promote renewable energy in Ibiza and Formentera. Visit www.amics-terra.org for information and advice.
Contact local solar energy installation companies. See list of suppliers.
Watch our documentary
With our support, BioCam has produced a thought-provoking documentary, ‘Ibiza and Formentera – 100% Renewable’. It outlines the current situation and the barriers we need to overcome to achieve this goal. (Spanish with English subtitles)