In Ibiza, waste generation is 14% more than in Spain and the rest of Europe, at 540 kg per person per year in 2018. Although the collection of waste for recycling has more than doubled since 2005, it only accounts for 17.2% of total waste. Local landfill sites are also struggling to cope with increased levels of waste each year.
What you can do
Reduce, re-use and recycle
- Think before you buy – buy only what you need
- Avoid items with unnecessary packaging – nearly a fifth of all household waste is packaging from retail purchases
- Say no to plastic bags – take your own bags with you
- Say no to single-use plastics – choose reusable products
- Say no to plastic straws
- Start composting
- Recycle at the yellow, green and blue bins
- Give things away or sell them
- Buy second hand goods.
Ibiza has good recycling points across the island (and yes, it does get recycled!). There are three main recycling bins:
- 1. The yellow bin is labelled “envases”. Put plastic containers (plastic bottles, plastic bags, yoghurt pots), tin and metal containers (drink cans, tin cans, aerosols) and Tetra Pak cartons (milk, soup, juice, sugar) in this bin
- 2. The green bin is labelled “envases de vidrio”. Put all glass containers in this (without lids).
- 3. The blue bin is labelled “envases de carton”. Put all cardboard and paper in here (but not cartons or paper spoiled with oil or grease).
For information on recycling in Spain, see www.ecoembes.com
Shop Second Hand
There is a great auction in Santa Gertrudis the first Saturday of every month called Casi Todo. There are also flea markets every Saturday at the Hippodrome in San Jordi, and every Sunday at Cala Lenya (San Carlos) where you can sell unwanted goods and buy second hand.
FUNDACIÓN DEIXALLES collects and resells second hand furniture at their outlet, Pou de na Massiana, 27. Poligono Montecristo. San Antoni (971 191 118).
They sell everything from fridges to outdoor furniture and are worth visiting regularly.
Deixalles also has a vintage shop in Ibiza Town, at Pasaje Balafia, 4 – local 28.
CARITAS has a second hand program, A Tot Drap. Donated clothes, shoes, bags and toys are sold at the following shops:
- Tienda solidaria de Es Clot: c/Josep Riquer Llobet nº 16, 07800, Ibiza. Teléfono 971 30 42 82
- Tienda solidaria de Vila, c/ Carlos III, nº 27, 07800, Ibiza. Teléfono 971 31 17 62 extensión 15
- Tienda solidaria de Sant Jordi: c/ del cementerio s/n, 07817, Sant Jordi. Teléfono 971 39 66 24
- Tienda solidaria de San Antonio: c/Lepanto nº 5, 07820, Sant Antoni. Teléfono 971 80 38 35
- Tienda solidaria de Santa Eulalia: c/ Historiador José Clapés nº 19, 07840, Santa Eulária. Teléfono 971 33 69 48
If you want to give away your clothes, deposit them at the red (CARITAS) or white (DEIXALLES) containers. You can locate the red containers here.