Commitment to sustainable tourism for businesses
A sustainable future, a shared future
We are looking for companies that are committed to a tourism sector that is truly sustainable and responsible, that take a proactive role in the context of the climate crisis and that want to be the protagonists of change.
We therefore invite businesses operating within the tourism sector to publicly join this commitment and take responsibility for implementing the necessary actions to establish a roadmap that positions Ibiza as a truly sustainable destination.
Together, we must begin to analyse without prejudice the possible implications of a continual growth in tourist numbers, in order to maximise the social returns of the tourism model and prioritise caring for the environment. To this end, we encourage tourism businesses to put into practice a series of actions that can serve as a starting point towards a more socially and environmentally responsible sector. We hope the following commitment can be the spark that helps to ignite change.
1. WE PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT OF IBIZA
To take the first steps in caring for the environment, territory and culture of Ibiza, businesses operating in the tourism sector can implement the following measures:
- Calculate the carbon footprint generated by their activity and compensate it where possible.
- Participate in local production and consumption circuits by supplying “Km 0” products.
- Create specific communication campaigns aimed at sustainability for tour operators, local population and tourists.
- Reduce the use of plastic and eliminate single-use plastic, as well as other disposable products, regardless of the material, in accordance with the Balearic Law.
- Promote actions for the conservation of local biodiversity, including avoiding importing trees likely to harbor the snakes that are killing off the Pitiusan lizard.
- Offer only products, services and experiences that respect the habitat of the native fauna and flora and do not pollute it.
- Reduce waste, recycle and contribute to sanitation and cleaning programs.
- Ensure the efficient management and judicious use of water and energy resources, seeking to consume those that have less environmental impact and are recyclable and/or reusable.
2. WE RESPECT LOCAL CULTURE
A commitment to responsible tourism in Ibiza also means that conscious companies should contribute towards the sustainable management of the island in a way that does not adversely impact local culture and customs. In addition, businesses that assume this commitment must help to protect and preserve tourist attractions and recognise the added value of Ibiza’s own cultural identity through:
- Raising awareness so that tourists are more conscious of the cultural footprint they can leave in Ibiza.
- Promoting the conservation of both tangible and intangible cultural heritage as a hallmark of Ibiza.
- Learning about the customs, gastronomy, language, traditions, and heritage of Ibiza and promoting mutual learning opportunities with clients.
3. WE SEEK TO GIVE EQUAL AND FAIR OPPORTUNITIES
A responsible and sustainable business model prioritises the well-being of people, both residents and visitors, promoting equal opportunities for the local community of Ibiza through:
- Job creation based on the consumption of local products.
- The modification of patterns of tourist consumption and mobility to tend towards sustainability and regeneration.
- The denunciation of practices that involve the exploitation of workers and the overexploitation of resources.
- The observation and analysis of the sector through reliable indicators that transcend merely economic ones. GDP should no longer be the only indicator taken into account and empirical data should be used to analyse the real impact of activities in order to take appropriate measures.
- Ensuring dignified working conditions for employees and the promotion of fair hiring opportunities, regardless of gender, origin, religion, sexual orientation or other condition.
- The accessibility of tourism to people with functional diversity.
- The use of new technologies and innovative methods that contribute to sustainability through saving or more judicious use of resources, information and communication.
- The promotion of Corporate Social Responsibility strategies.
- Communicating the fulfilment of these commitments to tourists.
See which companies have already signed up.